TrueCrypt is a completely free encryption software that can create virtual encrypted disks (volumes) and encrypt whole partitions or disks, including those where Windows is installed. Advanced users with high security requirements love the possibility to create hidden volumes and operating systems. Despite all the possibilities, TrueCrypt is not difficult to learn and use.
Main Features (copied from TrueCrypt home page):
- Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.
- Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.
- Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).
- Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.
- Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted.
- Encryption can be hardware-accelerated on modern processors.
- Provides plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password:
- Hidden volume (steganography) and hidden operating system.
TrueCrypt works on Windows, Mac and Linux platforms.